Friday, June 26, 2015

Equal Love

So as everyone is aware, the American Government made history by declaring equal marital rights and dignities to the gays and lesbians. It's a remarkable win for all its citizens and a damn well reason to be proud of it's government. I couldn't be more happier for the LGBTQ community; it's a massive well deserved win.



Now while we can share their happiness, our LGBTQ community is far from celebrating this achievement with the Indian government making gay rights the least of their worries. Now I'm not saying the government is sitting and fiddling with their thumbs, I know there are a million other issues being sorted out, but freedom to choose who you marry, who you can love is a fundamental right that cannot be denied because you think homosexuality is "unnatural". I'm not going to try and change your views on homosexuals. That's something that is personal according to me and the orthodox nature of our ancestors are too deep rooted to change by reading a few words.

Yes, we may be one of the few countries in the world to recognise a 3rd sex: Transgenders, but has that really changed the dynamics? Hijra's (aka transgenders) are still not given as much dignity in our society as asked, they're not given the same job opportunities as males or females, just maybe the right to vote. Most still spend their lives begging at street corners. But at least the court and the law legally recognises them. The gays and lesbians aren't even recognised as natural humans and are given the status of outer-space species or aliens or clinically challenged.
Since the time the Indian Government back in 2013 declined to repeal section 377, homophobia has been on the rise. Supporters of the LGBTQ community have been worried that by criminalising homosexuality, gays and lesbians are venuerable to police or public brutalities and homophobia.
Recently Mr Gay who represented that gay community on international platforms withdrew from a pageant as he was scared to death by the homophobic people who sent his family death threats and warnings. One boy was reported almost beaten to death by fellow classmates who justified it as a cleansing process and to make him "straighter". Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that a boy liking his own sex is disrupting your life and causing problems in your life. Indians and their pigheadedness can never fail to surprise me.





We might have gay pride and walks, but I feel it's more of an act of rebellion against the court's decision rather than concentration on the real issues at hand and fighting for whats right. Now I'm not saying that gay prides are a farce, they're very much real and relevant. But voicing and fighting for basic fundamental rights are lost in the background noise.

And to all the bigot's who think of homosexuality as ''unnatural" and think gays and lesbians should go to a doctor to get themselves checked and cure them as "straight.", I'm sorry that someone's preference to love and marry their own gender is harming you. I didn't know that homosexuality is highly contagious and now somehow you'll be pooping rainbows and boys will start dressing as girls and girls as boys. And this other million dollar question as to; how can they produce kids? It's scientifically and medically impossible. There is something known as adopting and I'm sorry but I didn't realise that the whole point of loving someone and marrying them is to have kids. Then why don't you shun every infertile couple out there?
 Oh my just imagine the horror. Someone living the life they want can actually affect your happiness and life so just save on the trouble and shun these people by calling them outer galactic species and aliens or send them death threats so that they live and die in the closet.



Yes, I'm a straight girl who supports gay rights, and I hope to see a day when I don't have to support them just as they don't need to support me for being heterosexual. I hope every citizen of this country is given the right to love, marry, court, have relations with any person they wish irrespective of their gender.
As Macklemore rightly said: I might not be the same but that's not important. No freedom 'till we're equal damn right I support it.


Now you may or may not support it. But you sure as hell don't have the right to outcast and derogate them as unnatural and send them to witch doctors to be cured. Don't hate them cause you don't share their beliefs or understand their love, but give them the same amount of respect as they give you. You don't see them being heterophobic now, do you? All I'm asking is to show them such respect and dignity, as they to you.


Waiting for the day where love conquers all in my country too ❤️ 

Until next time readers!
XXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment